Senior Ecological Restoration & Natural Capital Consultant
£39,500 – £47,000 + car allowance (higher or lower paybands available depending on experience)
Full time, permanent with flexible working patterns and hybrid home working options
Ideally our Edinburgh or Perthshire Hub – but any location considered
5pm, Monday 26th February 2024
At TreeStory, we are committed to building a future where people and planet can thrive together. We offer holistic and sustainable solutions that combine our technical expertise with our passion for the natural environment. We believe that well-managed trees, woodlands and forests make the world a better place. We are proud to be in the process of gaining B-Corp accreditation, demonstrating our commitment as a business to be a force for good in the world.
We have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced environmental professional to join our expanding team and contribute towards our goal of delivering exceptional forestry and habitat restoration projects across Scotland, shaped by our distinctive core values. These core values are set out in our Woodland Charter, which you can read about on our here.
We are currently working on around 50 projects across Scotland from landscape-scale restoration across entire catchments to smaller farm units, with clients ranging from investment funds to charities, community groups and traditional estate owners. The majority of our project delivery team have a woodland or forestry background but given the increasing complexity and scale of our projects, we have a need for greater specialist technical knowledge in areas such as peatland restoration, river restoration, and the management of habitats such as grass and heathland, as well as regenerative agricultural systems.
Aside from providing ecological expertise within our existing Consultancy service, this role would also be involved with TreeStory.Impact, our latest venture providing an opportunity for businesses to invest in our ecological restoration projects. The role would provide co-ordination of natural capital code validation (peatland and woodland) and other restoration funding opportunities such as the Nature Restoration Fund and assist with natural capital investment opportunities and development. As TreeStory.Impact grows this role may become two separate positions. At TreeStory, Senior Consultants in our team play a critical role in ensuring that the core values of TreeStory are implemented at every stage of planning and operations. Our projects are where our vision becomes reality. Your role is to ensure that we live up to the high standards we set for ourselves and our clients.
- Develop ecological restoration plans and operational delivery across a range of habitat types and projects, including working with our project teams to provide ecological technical input and natural capital advice.
- Responsibility for coordinating registration, validation and verification of all TreeStory Woodland and Peatland Carbon Code Projects.
- Being the natural capital code guru at TreeStory, keeping up to date with progression in the system and leading internal training for our team.
- Being aware of funding opportunities outside of the Forestry Grant Scheme, such as the Nature Restoration Fund and FIRNS and being able to advice clients on their use and, where appropriate, coordinating drafting applications.
- Advising clients on the full suite of natural capital opportunities, including our own developing TreeStory Impact Platform, and assisting with securing investment opportunities.
- Help with the development of our TreeStory.Impact and our EcoCarbon product, including meeting with potential investors to communicate the vision of our platform and projects.
- Holding regular review meetings with project delivery teams.
- We are a tech savvy company using Asana as our project management software. You would be expected to use this software to plan, capture, delegate, track and report on your assigned projects. Monitoring the quality of project delivery on the ground in terms of the project vision and our consistently evolving Woodland Charter.
- Preference for working for an ambitious, purpose driven start up rather than a well-established corporate company.
- Connect deeply with the work and core values of TreeStory Ltd, deeply passionate about making a positive environmental impact as well as the B-Corp ethos of business as a force for good.
- Keen to adopt innovative ways of working and think outside the box. Not afraid to push the boundaries of current knowledge, understanding and standard practice.
- Committed to continual learning & development and prepared to experiment.
- A motivated team player, keen to help and encourage all team members.
- Not intimidated by learning new technology, a keen adopter of technological tools to help us do our work. Proficiency in the following tools would be ideal: Microsoft Office Suite, Slack, Zoom, Asana, QGIS.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Understand the importance of good communication to our brand.
- Enjoy the challenge of adapting well laid plans to connect with the real world. Demonstrate great attention to detail and be able to accurately anticipate consequences and knock-on effects.
- At least 5 years’ post-qualification experience in applied ecology or related discipline.
- Have a demonstrable background in and passion for ecological restoration.
- Be a professional member of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management, Institute of Chartered Foresters, or similar professional body (or be working towards professional membership).
- A full UK driving licence is essential.
How to apply
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to [email protected], telling us what excited you about this opportunity and what you feel you could bring to the role, no later than 5pm on Monday 26th February 2024.
If you would like an informal and confidential conversation prior to applying, please feel free to set up a call with our CEO & Co-Founder Gordon Brown, 0131 6000 313, [email protected].
TreeStory is for everyone. We believe in an equitable and inclusive work environment and that a diverse, empowered team is key to achieving our mission. We’re looking for candidates who expand our perspective and challenge business as usual. We strive to foster an environment where all staff can bring their whole selves to work, by their own definition. We are committed to sustained action to dismantle racist systems, policies, practices and ideologies within ourselves and our networks. We have zero tolerance for intolerance.